Colgate-Palmolive (NYSE: CL) stock price rose almost 1.25x from $60 at 2018 end to around $73 currently, primarily due to favorable changes in its sales. During this period, the company witnessed a steady 14% rise in revenues, and combined with a 4.3% rise in its P/S multiple and a 3% drop in the outstanding share count, the company’s stock price has rallied. However, over the same period, the S&P 500 returned around 50%, meaning that CL stock has underperformed the index since 2018-end.
In our interactive dashboard, Why Colgate Palmolive Stock Moved: CL Stock Has Gained 23% Since 2018, we break down the factors behind this move.
(A) CL’s Total Revenue has grown 14% from $15.5 billion in FY 2018 to $17.7 billion on an LTM basis
- CL’s total revenue rose steadily from $15.5 billion in FY ’18 to $17.4 billion in FY ’21, and as demand has remained strong since the pandemic, with sales rising to $17.7 billion currently.
- Colgate-Palmolive is a leading manufacturer and distributor of household, health care, personal care, and veterinary products, operating in markets across the world.
- As of FY ’21, Oral, Personal and Home Care sales make up the majority of CL’s total revenue, bringing in 81% of the company’s sales, with Pet Nutrition making up the remaining 19%.
- For additional details about CL’s revenues and comparison to peers, see Colgate-Palmolive (CL) Revenue Comparison
(B) Revenue per share (RPS) increased 20% from $18.00 in FY 2018 to $21.13 currently
- Colgate-Palmolive revenue rose from $15.5 billion in FY ’18 to $17.7 billion currently, while the outstanding share count decreased from around 863.6 million in FY 2018 to 837.5 million currently.
- Due to this, RPS has jumped from $18.00 in FY ’18 to $21.13 currently.
(C) Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for Colgate-Palmolive rose steadily from 3.3x in 2018 end to 4.4x by 2020 end but has since pulled back to 3.5x currently, still around 4% higher than what it was in late 2018
- Colgate-Palmolive’s performance since 2018-end saw its P/S multiple rise from 3.3x in 2018 to 4.4x in 2020.
- Despite CL’s consistent sales performance over the years, the P/S multiple has dropped to 3.5x currently due to increased uncertainty surrounding global economic conditions.
- For additional details about the company’s historical returns and comparison to peers, see Colgate-Palmolive (CL) Stock Return.
What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Our high-quality portfolio and multi-strategy portfolio have beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.
|S&P 500 Return||3%||-22%||66%|
|Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio||2%||-25%||198%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 10/19/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016
Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
Image and article originally from www.nasdaq.com. Read the original article here.